Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Swine.

The Swine has come to Argentina in full force!  And everyone is paranoid beyond belief!!

These are the extreme measures they’ve taken here in Buenos Aires to contain the Swine:

1)Close all schools two weeks early—even if you haven’t taken your finals, the school is CLOSED. 

2) Flacso closed too.  No more hanging out in the computer lab.  No more seeing people in the Flacso Cafe.  No more seeing the staff or free printing. 

3) Flacso also canceled our final goodbye party :(

4) At least 1/4 of the people in BA are wearing masks (“barbijos”).  However at this point most stores are sold out of barbijos and hand sanitizer (people are basically bathing themselves with it!)

5) It is suggested that you don’t go to the movies, to bars, or to boliches due to the swine. 

Like I said, nearly every Argentine is PARANOID!  I’m pretty bummed that this had to happen in my last weeks here.  I am worried I won’t be able to see some of my friends here before I leave because I won’t see them in school and my phone got jacked.  And my Argentine friends are scared to go out!  I personally think this hoopla is pretty silly and an over-reaction, but I certainly keep using my hand sanitizer after every bus ride I take!

No comments:

Post a Comment