Sunday, June 21, 2009

Ferias

Today I went to the Feria de Mataderos with some friends.  There are Ferias- streetfairs- everyday in some places, but the best ferias happen on Saturdays and Sundays.   While the San Telmo fair is very well known (suggested in all the Buenos Aires tourism books).  Although it is touristy…very, very touristy…it’s fun because of all the tango street performers and you can find some good stuff there, especially if you like antiques.  The Feria de Mataderos is on the other side of the city and centers more around gauchos than tango.  IMG_0044  IMG_0033IMG_0029

In addition to having tons of trinkets and pretty things, there was also a ton of food!  Every Argentine food you’d ever want, homemade.  Also, I got a sample of homemade dulce de leche and chocolate.  Yum!  And all sorts of artists showing off their work.IMG_0034

 

<—that’s President Kirschner with the plastic surgery lips

 

There was folklore (pronounced folk-lor-ay) music and dancing playing.  It’s quite different from Tango, but is also danced with a partner.  While Tango is really big in Buenos Aires, Folklore is popular in the Northern parts of Argentina. Here’s my friend Matt trying to dance with me.  Unsuccessfully.     IMG_0048

I really liked this Feria and thought that it was very Argentine!  I only heard English spoken once and there was such a variety of things to see and do.  I love the Ferias in Buenos Aires- whether I just pass through one (like I do everyday on the way to school- you never know what will be there because there vendors always get new things) or spend a day at one, I always love to pick through the things there…and laugh at the weird stuff:

 IMG_0041IMG_0025

case in point!  (a dog on a Donkey pulling a family and a wooden guy spewing incense smoke, if you were confused)

No comments:

Post a Comment