Saturday, May 30, 2009

Argentine Patriotism

This past monday was the 25th of May, a national holiday here in Argentina.  It commemorates the day, nearly 200 years ago (May 25, 1810), when the Argentines rose up against the Spanish in a revolution.  It is not independence day (that’s July 9), but it is nonetheless a day of national pride.

To celebrate, a huge concert was set up here:

image 

In front of the Obelisco, the Washington-monument-esque icon dedicated to BA.  The structure sits on Avenida 9 de Julio, the widest street in the world.  A couple blocks of this monster avenue were completely shut down to accomodate the stage and spectators. 

The singers at the concert were all Argentine and it a very mixed bunch- everything from “electronic tango” (which i loved!) to “Argentine cumbia” to “rock nacional”.   The electric tango group went on for the whole 2nd half and they collaborated with rap singers, other singers, and Gustavo Santaolalla, the famous musician behind the soundtrack for Brokeback Mountain (which, here is called “Secrets in Mountain”…doesn’t that sound like a Danielle Steel novel or something, not an Oscar-Winning movie?)

It was really fab and what I liked best is that everyone was out and hapy together- families, young people, foreigners like me, babies, old couples- you name it, they were there. 

image

(no, I wasn’t onstage, just stole the pic from the internet)

The concert ended with the National Anthem and everyone joined in, seeming to feel the same burst of patriotism that Americans feel when the Pops play on July 4. 

Or so I thought.  Later that week, a professor of mine was talking about the concert and how Patriotic everyone seemed.  Then he quickly said, “I’m not patriotic, no, no,” as if it were something to be ashamed about.  “No, I’m not patriotic,” he said.  “I’m Jewish.”

I guess I was under the mistaken impression you could be both?  I think it may have less to do with Argentina and more to do with my school, home of everything Left. 

image

Chau!  Sorry for the lack of photos, but my friend with whom I went to the concert hasn’t posted them yet and I’m, well, without camera.  xo!

No comments:

Post a Comment